Friday, March 21, 2014

The smile in her eyes

I'm sorry I haven't shared more patient stories lately, but you get so wrapped up in taking care of the same long term patients and forget to share the special moments sometimes. Today I had a really special day (besides the fact that it is my birthday). I want to share the story of one of my favorite girl. Her name is Benjamine, she is thirteen years old. Much like a patient I took care of in Guinea (Tia's story) , she sustained burns to her upper chest and both arms. Because of the burns and not having the medical care she needed Benjamine had contractures (or tight scar tissue) to her neck, elbows and axilla. I remember seeing her on the first day of plastics. It was before her surgery and though she is one of those cases that most people can't bear to see there was a smile in her eyes and an infectious laugh that I just couldn't resist.


Before surgery
 After surgery she was placed on the Plastics ward, and being that I am on the General ward I didn't see her as much. But I do know this, she had a hard time post-operatively. Alot of pain and complications. After weeks of care from the amazing plastics team, she was able to get up, walk and even go outside for the first time. Little by little she was improving.


 
Over the past three months we have begun to see her home out of her shell even more. One of her favorite activities these days is trying to tickle me or hiding behind a door and jumping out to try to scare me. She is also trying to teach me the words of the song Frere Jacques ... in French and her language of Lingala. Though I did learn this song once upon a time, in kindergarten, I have forgotten it and most likely did not pronuciate it correctly. She thinks it is hilarious to hear me murder the French and Lingala.

 
 A few weeks ago I was walking down the stairs from the dining room back to the ward and I heard a little voice. The little voice said my name, I looked down and sitting at the bottom of the stairs was Benjamine. To hear a patient say your name for the first time is one of the sweetest things, especially if they did not talk for a very long time. This evening I sat with Benjamine outside on the deck, just soaking in a little sunshine and fresh air. One of the other nurses whispered something in her ear and then she gave me my very best birthday present. It all started while we were having a thumb war, there just happened to be a videographer near by to capture it! One, two, three, four I declare a thumb war..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers